Monday, February 27, 2017

Multis sanguis per via fluit (Week 57)


Hamburg


So happy. Also we found the Berlin Wall in Hamburg.

Elbphilharmonie (Hamburg)

Elbphilharmonie (Hamburg)

Elbphilharmonie (Hamburg)
 
The title of my email is Latin, because my super cool comp studied Latin + Hebrew before her mission.. and this is the only thing she can remember from Latin. It translates to "much blood flows through the street". Gross. I guess if it was "much sister runs through the street" it might be applicable. And probably would have been a better title for my email. Read on for details...

Hello Liebe Leute,


This week was great. Lots of good stuff.

We made invitations for our Gemeinde Fasching activity. Fun fact, Germany celebrates carnival. So we tried to invite TONS of less active members and went überall in our area to deliver them. The good thing was that there were a lot of less-active members and non-members there on Saturday. Our GML told us we should definitely be there, so we dressed up (Sis W in my dirndl, me in my African shirt) and then it was basically just a dance with children running around everywhere. So actually not very effective to get to know people or make conversation in general. We did relieve the activity Planner sister from her dishwashing so she could go dance with her husband and we washed those dishes like Profis. And then we peaced out because like we said, there was really no point in us being there. Fun though. Germans go all-out when it comes to activities, I am always impressed. 
Your local Marzahn Sisters

I spy my comp in a dirndl (and a box)

Gemeinde Fasching
 

We also went on Tausch with the sisters in Delingsdorf, which is actually in Hamburg. So I spent a lot of time in a train. We had a mission wide "Harvest Day" and it was awesome. We all fasted on Wednesday and then went finding on Thursday. We got about a million texts from the miracles from all over the mission. Sister W and I went to a Mensa (cafeteria) for lunch, because we are trying to work more with young people. We had to go early in order to catch our train, so there was actually no one really there, but I guess we needed a warm-up. I haven't eaten in a cafeteria since the 8th grade (außer MTC, but that doesn't count), but the food was good and hopefully we'll be able to get to know some cool people who are interested in the gospel! Anyways, like we said, we then took a train to Hamburg and then Sister Gines came back to Marzahn to be my companion for 24 hours. We klingled a student housing complex by our house and we had some cool conversations with some people. We were talking to a 20-something year old girl from Syria, asking her questions about what she believes/explaining our beliefs, and then her roommate, who had been listening, appeared and started asking questions as well. It was super cool.

The next day, we had an appointment with a less-active sister, Schw. Neundorf. She's so cool, I really like her. She told us about how she joined the church, why she joined the church, and why she's inactive. She has lots of questions and doubts, but she has a testimony of the basics and that's so cool. She just needs to approach her doubts with faith instead of abandoning it. I know there are answers to her questions, but what's important is not that we answer them; she needs to learn to act on her faith and go to the source of truth. I know that God does and will answer our prayers.

And here is where things get exciting. When we were leaving the apartment, Sis G asked, "do. I have to bring my backpack?" and I thought about it and decided we probably had time to come back before our train left. I'm an idiot. Also still new here. So our Termine went later than I thought, we were on our way home and I looked up Bahn times. The Bahn we needed (in order to make it to Berlin Hbf in time to make our train to Hamburg) left 12 minutes after the Bahn we were on arrived to Biesdorf (our station). Our house is a solid 8-10 minute walk away. But we HAD to make this train, and it was tight, but close enough that we had to try. So, I told sister G the plan, then mentally prepped myself to run home, grab her stuff and run back. Also, keep in mind that I have gone running maybe 4 times in the last 5 months. Our train gets in, I run all the way home (with sis G trying to stay in sight/sound), grab her backpack, and run back to the train station. The construction guys thought it was hilarious. I said about a million prayers. And we made our train. Once we got into Berlin Hbf, we had 4 minutes to go down 4 levels to catch our train (and Berlin Hbf is not well organized). After more running like crazies and praying, we made our train. Heavenly Father really blessed us. And I believe part of it was because He knew I would do whatever I could to make it happen.
#blessed #schaffedthetrain
 

Sunday, we went to Young Women and it was awesome. We sang in ward choir, had an eating appointment with the Ortlieb family, which was super fun, and went to stake choir. Lots of singing.

I read this super awesome story this week in Numbers, after Moses parted the Red Sea and the Israelites were freed from the Egyptians. God had promised them (and Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) the land of Canaan. Moses sent 12 spies to see what was up/check out the land. They came back with reports of how great it was and also how well it was protected by the people there. 10 of the 12 said, "the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great. … We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we." The other two disagreed, saying that they could do it. So, the people were faced with a choice: faith or fear. And sadly, they all chose fear, except these two super rad rulers, Caleb and Joshua. "If the Lord delight in us, then he will bring us into this land and give it us. … Only rebel not ye against the Lord, neither fear ye the people of the land. … The Lord is with us: fear them not." I love these two. They knew that the Lord was more powerful than anyone; they also knew that He had covenanted with them that they would posses this land, and that God always keeps His promises. Anyways, long story short, the Israelites traveled forty years in the wilderness until all the unfaithful people had perished, then the Lord's promise was fulfilled and Caleb and Joshua got to experience/live in the "land flowing with milk and honey". If we hold onto our faith and have faith in God, He will help us conquer our fears and will fulfill his promises. I love that: be grape-gatherers, not wall-watchers! That was a message I needed this week. 

I have you love! Ihr seid wunderbar!
Someone pooped on the Bahn

Seriously, people?



No comments:

Post a Comment