Monday, April 4, 2016

My German is officially better than my French and GIANT spider (Week 11)




First off, let me say that my French has actually gotten worse. :(
We were klingling a building the other day, and one lady told me she
spoke French. So I talked to her a little bit but I kept throwing in
German words and using German grammar (aka kicking the verb to the
end). We met a couple people who spoke different languages so we got
copies of the Book of Mormon in those languages and took them by
later. I wrote my testimony in the French one and I was so excited to
give it to her! We went to drop it off and I don't think she
understood my French and didn't let us up. Ugh. So nothing happened
and I was frustrated. My French is pretty dusty right now. But it's
okay because my German is getting better.
   We had our trainer/trainee meeting at the mission home in Berlin!
It was in German but they translated it to English.. But I understood
most of what everyone was saying. Woot woot. It was so fun to see
Sister Darton and all my friends from the MTC. We also rode a train
with 14 missionaries, and that was fun. It was a great meeting and I
really love Präsident and Sister Fingerle. We missed our train because
it was too close to the end of the meeting, which was bad because 12
of us were on that ticket. Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about
anything because I wasn't in charge. One of the elders was going to go
beg/cry to see if we could get on a train. I don't know what ended up
happening, but we did get on a train and made it back to Hamburg.
Tender mercies.
   We made fitness goals this week (basically do morgen sport and eat
less chocolate). We found ramen at an Asian store so we ate that.. And
we found the best pommes place on the face of the earth. They are
heavenly. Also, in case you were wondering, subway is way better here.
   We went by on a contact again. I don't know if I wrote about the
guy who didn't move when we rang the doorbell even though he was right
there and we could totally see him. Well, this time the lady and the
man were both sitting by the window, watched us walk up, and didn't
answer the door. I guess they are probably not interested.
   We had a few awesome lessons this week, but we didn't get to meet
with everyone we wanted to. We got a referral a few weeks ago from a
member in Freiberg, and so we finally got to meet with her sister in
law, who has been reading a little in the Book of Mormon. She is so
awesome and super prepared! We taught her about Joseph Smith and the
Restoration of the Gospel and challenged her to pray about it. We also
met with Peggy. Her cat had kittens and she's been bottle feeding them
every 4 hours when she's home. She invited us over, made us pizza and
showed us her cats. She likes to talk a lot and use her English so we
try to tie everything back to the gospel. We invited her to General
Conference this weekend and she was going to come but texted us and
told us that her can "suffers from interior chemical dysfunction" and
she was stressed so she couldn't come.
   None of our investigators came to conference, which was
disappointing. We got to watch it in English! It was so good! The way
it works here (because of the 8 hour time difference) is we watch the
Sat morning session on Saturday at 18:00, then Sunday morning, the men
watch the priesthood session at 11, we watch the Saturday PM at 14:00,
and the Sunday morning at 18:00. And we will watch the last one at a
later date.. I loved all of the talks, especially Elder Uchtdorf's
about Jesus Christ and how he wants to rescue us and help us become so
much more. We are worthy of rescue, every one of us. I am so thankful
that we have modern day prophets and apostles. I have a testimony that
they are called of God and their words are the words that the Lord
wants us to hear. I remember when we had the Temple Cultural
Celebration when the Boise temple was rededicated. I could feel the
spirit when the prophet came into the room! I know God loves us and
that He loves us enough to give us revelation for our times and for us
personally. I felt that as I listened this weekend. Good stuff.
   I also loved all the focus on family. I am so blessed to be born
into a good family with great parents! I miss you guys, but I also
know that why I am here is important. I LOVE the temple. I know
because my parents were sealed in the temple, I can be with my family
forever. I am so grateful for the blessings of the gospel of Jesus
Christ. It has blessed my family now and will continue to throughout
eternity.
    Well, anyway, I love you family. Thanks for your prayers on my
behalf. Frühling ist fast hier. Ich freue mich!
Ich liebe euch!!!
Sister Simpson

   Funny story, during GC, Sister Porter's pen stopped working and she
tried to suck out the ink so it would write again. She sucked out a
TON of green ink and it dyed her lips, teeth and tongue green. We
hurried to the bathroom and she frantically washed her mouth and I
laughed so hard. She got most of it out her mouth, but her tongue
still has ink on it.
   Also, we came home last night and found this awfully HUGE spider on
our wall. After freaking out a fair amount, I manned up and killed it.
(Sister porter doesn't like the sound they make when you kill them so
she won't kill them.. Not that that makes any sense). It was huge;
crunched up it was as big as my thumbnail. Makes me shudder just
thinking about it, and I am not that afraid of spiders (most of the
time). She recorded it, but I probs won't send it because it is
embarrassing. Let's just say it was uncomfortably large and high up
and I felt invaded. Folks, this is why I did not get called to South
America. Danke himmel.


This is Blankenese (my favorite place in Germany so far) we walked
down this little pathway to a "greenbelt" type thing by the river (the
Elbe).







These are pictures of Mariah's apartment.  Nicer than any apartment I ever had on my mission (says Lynette)





No explanation on these last two pictures, but it looks like a missionary has finished his mission, which in mission lingo is called "Dying"


No comments:

Post a Comment