Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 10

Spooky Graveyard Shortcut

Hey Mom! Spring break sounded really fun! I want to hike Angel's Landing. Sam McKinnon told me about it and it is her favorite, so I have always wanted to do it. I wrote you a letter and the boys postcards and sent it on Thursday.. So you should get it in a few days. I got your letter on Tuesday and it was awesome! Thank you. Also, Sarah Van Dam wrote me! I love mail. I get my Ipad on Thursday. Happy day! I am excited to see my MTC friends.
Happy Birthday Benjamin! And Jacob yesterday! Happy days. 
Last P-day, we found a mexican place and we bought burritos. So good. We went out and ate them by the water, and then went to H M to go shopping. It was fun! Some weird guys came and handed us roses and showed us pictures of a generic cancer kid and asked for money. I have heard not to take the roses, because if you don't give them money, they start screaming. freaky. We met with Farshid later that night, and he told us via google translate that he has felt the power of Satan less in his life since he received the priesthood on Sunday. We love him a lot. He is such a cool person! 
We also went grocery shopping, but forgot to bring bags and didn't want to buy any, so we carried our groceries home. We got lots of weird looks because we were just these silly americans carrying their carrots and eggs and chocolate. Haha. 
Tuesday, we went to go find a contact we had never gone by on, and we took a 'shortcut' through this HUGE park that turned into woods. We eventually found a road and a graveyard was on the other side. So naturally, it made total sense to go through the graveyard (thank you, Sister Porter). It was also great in size and after an HOUR of walking around it, we were thoroughly freaked out and lost. There were lots of bushes and it was overcast (it was probably really peaceful) but I was just thinking how it would be a great place for someone to kill us because no one would ever find our bodies. We eventually found the road and tracked our way back to civilization. We never found that contact. :( 
We went on tausch (exchanges) this week. We live close to Sister St. John (sister training leader) and Lichtenberg, but we just went to their area. I was with Sister Lichtenberg for the 2nd half of Thursday, and we went to an appointment that fell out. So we kligled a building and when someone would let us in, we knock on doors and talk to whoever would talk to us. We asked them questions about if they believe they see their families after they die and if they could ask God a question, what it would be, and we had some cool (from what we could understand) discussions. We talked to a lady on the street with her little baby and she believed she will see her family after she dies. We talked about the Book Of Mormon and I gave her one. They are going to meet with her next week!! It was awesome!
We slept over that night and ate german food. The next morning we got up and did out studies, then Sister St. John and I went to an appointment that also fell out. We went by on a couple contacts in really sketchy Hamburg. It was cold and really rainy, so not super fun. It was nice to talk to her, because she is at the end of her mission and she started like I did (no german), but she can speak really well now. 
We went to help an investigator who is super pregnant clean her apartment. She is super poor and it was so cool to be able to help her, because I was literally getting nothing out of it. I had a realization while I was scrubbing walls: I am a representative of Jesus Christ and I KNOW for a fact that if he came to that apartment complex, he would spend time with her and help her because He loves her. 
We had district meeting on Saturday night (because we messed up the regular schedule.. oops). We came out of the church and it smelled like smoke. Worse than summer fires in Boise. Most of Hamburg smelled like it (I don't know why) but we all had headaches because it was so bad. Also, in Germany, they have no school on Friday and Monday, so Saturday was a party day. The bus stops were completely full of teenagers and young adults. It was a little crazy. Some people drove by us and asked us where the party was (like we knew). Elder Nay gave everyone we passed pass-along cards, although most of them were probably drunk. 
There was a baptism for a YA that some of the elders in our zone taught, and they sang a song that Sister Porter accompanied for, so we went to that. On the way there, we saw a cute african family with an older german couple, and they sat by us and we talked to them. They were from Berlin and came from Hamburg for Easter. 

MOM QUESTIONS: How was your Easter? Did you teach anyone today?
The weirdest Easter I've ever had. I didn't understand most of church, it wasn't really focused Christ, and we had no eating appointment.
  How is your ward? How are the members?  Do they struggle or are they solid?
Our ward is awesome. There's 60-70 active members, I think. They are super cool. 
Is there just one ward in Hamburg?  
No there's more than one.. It is a big city.  We are on the outskirts of Hamburg, so like a suburb.   
Have you met with Peggy lately?  
We went to Mass today with her! I was thinking I wanted it to be in Latin, but then I realized it would probably be in german, so I wouldn't understand it anyway. It was interesting. I've always wanted to go to mass and it was a cool experience even though I didn't understand most of it. 
 What does the architecture like in Hamburg?  Any old beautiful churches and buildings?  
It's pretty cool. There are cool parts and normal parts. I lost my camera charging cord (have you seen it?), so I will take more pics when I get my Ipad.
 
Sorry about this long dumb letter. The church is true. I studied in 2 Nephi this week. I love in the Isaiah chapters, when Isaiah is talking about all the wickedness in the world, but despite all of that 'his hand is stretched out still.' He is ever merciful and loving and wants us to come to him. I love the talk 'Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet' and the story he shares about the boys in the canyon. I love what he says ''This Easter I thank Him and the Father, who gave Him to us, that He still extends unending grace, although He extends it with pierced palms and scarred wrists.'' That talk is one of my favorites and is SO worth reading. He will not leave us alone, especially in our times of trials. I am so thankful for His untimate sacrifice for us.
I love you all! Have a great week!
Sister Simpson
The Church in Hamburg

Hamburg Zone

We found Mexican Food


This Mustang and the bld. behind are the same color

German food and Exchanges
 

No comments:

Post a Comment