Monday, March 13, 2017

We ate the Easter Bunny (Week 59)

Oh yes, the title. Yesterday we had rabbit at our eating appointment. I got super excited because I haven't eaten lots of weird stuff on my mission. Well, I have, but not a lot that I know what it is. Rabbit isn't even that weird. Döner is definitely sketchier.
Wiese Family (rabbit essen termin)

Liebe Leute,

This week was so great. So great. I think we were busy, but I don't even remember why.

We went on Tausch with the STLTs, Sister Porter and Garrett. I got to be companions with my trainer again, which was fun. She's a great missionary. We went to eat at a Mensa (cafeteria) at the university
with their district. We all just buy food, and then split up, sit by people and talk to them. The lady we sat by finished before we could talk to her, so we did a role-play about striking up/keeping up a normal conversation. Haha, I'm so awkward, and my goodness, it's gotten worse. Also, we had an appointment with a super nice, Albanian, less-active frau. Her grandchildren were adorable, and it was great. That evening, we taught mission prep at institute and it was super fun! We talked about adjusting and preparing for missionary life. One of the girls there just got her call to Lyon France.

We met with Kira again this week. It was an awesome lesson. I understand her struggle and I've had (have) most of the same questions that she has. We haven't really tried to answer her questions because she already "knows" the answers and I know she can find the answers on her own, we have been trying to focus on how to deal with doubts/faith. We read a talk from Elder Holland called "Lord, I believe", which I LOVE. She loved it and brought up Joseph Smith, who said, "For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it." He didn't know everything auf ein mal, Kira doesn't, and neither do I, but the cool thing is is that God works with us and as long as we remain true to the faith we have, it will grow. That has been my experience in the gospel. She committed to read in the Book of Mormon every day, and I know that even though she hasn't come back to church yet and is technically not "progressing", she's making progress. She told us that there are things that she knows to be true and one of them is the Book
of Mormon. It's been a great blessing to get to work with Kira because I literally just get it. I understand her and I can see where she's at in her faith and it. is. so. cool.

We got a referral from a sister who served in Berlin a year or two ago and is living here now. This family just walked into church one day (in her time). They met with the missionaries and had a baptismal date, but due to moving and everything they lost contact with the missionaries. But Rachel found them and we went by on them and they're so cool. They're from Egypt. We have an  appointment this week and they said they'd come to church, so I'm super excited. Helgina's (the other
referral from last week) appointment fell out because she is staying with someone right now while looking for a house and the lady doesn't want strangers there when she's not. We'll figure out a way to meet with her.

Saturday was super busy. We had Gemiko with out GML and then three member appointments. One was with a sister who comes when she can with her baby and nonmember husband. One was with a sweet older lady who is 85 and who has been taking care of her handicapped son, Frank, for 55
years. If that's not love, I don't know what it. Schw. Risse has had a crazy hard life but is so positive. (We're talking grew up in the war zone in Germany/Poland and escaped on a train as soldiers fired at
them and blew up the train car behind them). We talked about hope and I was so humbled hearing her speak about the hard things she's experienced and how her faith was strengthened through them. Not only is the glass half full, but it's half full because God is looking out for us. I just want to bring her around to all the people who ask us, "why does God let bad things happen? Where is He in the midst of all this chaos?" He's there. I know He is. We finished the day doing a FHE with a family in our ward. They made us Russian meat tortellini like things. I don't remember what they're called, but they were good. They eat it with sour cream. We taught the plan of salvation and Bruder Jeremies asked like a million deep and not super applicable questions. Haha.

Yesterday we had church and it was good. Sister Wilson and I taught (tried to teach) the gospel principles class on Temples and family history, but it ended up being more of a "what happens if.."
discussion between the members who decided to come.. oh boy. Helgina and the Labibs didn't come, but next week. It's also stake conference next week and we will be singing in the choir. Well, I will. We got our transfer calls, and Sister Wilson is going to Prenzlau to be with Sister Daines. I'm staying in Marzahn and my new companion is Sister Haynie. I love Sister Haynie, we were at the temple open house together. I'll miss Sister Wilson, but she's in my Tausch group so I'll still see her. And we will be able to speak auf englisch. That'll be nice.

This has been a hard 6 weeks, but I am being changed. My faith is growing and my testimony has been strengthened. It's very humbling. I know that the all-powerful God is there and looking out for each one of us personally. He loves us. Sometimes it's hard to see His effect on the world when you look at everyone as a whole, but I don't think He works like that, taking away the problems of  everyone all at once. He won't interfere with our agency, but He will bless us and answers our prayers. It's harder to see from the outside, but that doesn't mean that it makes His tender mercies any less important. And sometimes we have to go through hard things so that we can grow. And that's the real purpose of this life. I'm thankful for God's plan; that I know where I came from, why I am here, and where I am going after I die. We are never alone.

God is so good. The gospel is amazing (and true).

Love you all!
Sister Simpson

P.S. Today we went to Checkpoint Charlie for pday.
Train Ride

Spring!

Spring!


Gendarmenmarkt/beautiful Berlin

Gendarmenmarkt/beautiful Berlin

Gendarmenmarkt/beautiful Berlin


Gendarmenmarkt/beautiful Berlin

Schröder Family (part of them)

Jeremie FHE

No comments:

Post a Comment