Monday, December 19, 2016

Old Friends, New Friends (Week 48)

Eunice's baptism Friday!

Sister Daines facetimed in


The Lopez's invited us over for dinner for our birthdays on
Tuesday

With the Lopez family. I love them

we helped Rachel with personal progress.


Hey family! Frohe Weihnachten diese Woche! 

The first part of this week was busy saying goodbye to people (for Sister Daines), planning for the baptism, and transfers. I miss Sister Daines, but Sister Harger is also great. It's always an adjustment, but...

Thursday, we went caroling as a Zone. It was awesome. We all met at Hauptbahnhof, hen went to Wilhelmsburg, Altona, Langenhorn and ended in Wartenau by the Weihnachtsmarkt. It was FREEZING but so fun. We would sing as a group and a couple of us would hand out Christmas pass-along cards for the Christmas initiative. Our ZLs were either super awesome or didn't want to sing, because they handed out cards every time, and the rest of us took turns. It was so cool to bear testimony of Jesus Christ through song. Missionary work is kind of like caroling: sometimes you sing as loud and as beautifully as you can and people just walk by, but it is totally worth it for the people who stop, listen and appreciate the message. We weren't very good, especially by the end after hours of singing in the freezing cold, but "Stille Nacht" was so powerful. Lots of people stopped for that one. Probably the spirit. 

This week was awesome. Eunice got baptized on Friday night and it was so awesome. It was a beautiful service, right down to the prayers. You could feel the love and support that the members have for Eunice, and the spirit was so strong. Lots of ward members came and she definitely has a good support system in this ward, which is good because her mother is anything but supportive. She was confirmed on Saturday by the bishop. It amazes me how prepared she was and I feel blessed to be able to take part in her journey, but she was definitely well on her way before we even came into the picture. 

Eunice wanted to sing "Stille Nacht" as part of her baptismal program, but the English/German versions were too high. So I did the only logical thing and transposed the entire song. I think she didn't realize that "just going a little lower" is a lot easier said than done. There is certainly an easier way to transpose music, but my stressed out brain couldn't handle it, so I just rewrote the entire song, because I wasn't about to ruin the musical number at her baptism. The funny thing is, we practiced it before the baptism and it was still too high. After all that work. So if anyone ever wants me to play "Stille Nacht" ever again, you better believe I will play my version. #bloodsweatandtears

Also, huge miracle: Peggi moved back to Hamburg! We met with her this week, and while we were there, she called the elders in Munich and I got to talk to them about her. It was awesome. She told us how much we had helped her come closer to Jesus Christ, which was awesome. I am so excited to keep working with her. 

Other highlights: we went by on an old lady in our ward, because the bishop hasn't been able to contact her.. turns out her phone was just broken and she was loving the lack of communication with basically everyone. Haha. We gave her some Christmas cards to give out and showed her the video and she loved it. Haha. We also met with Frau Byo, who continues to get happier as she reads in the Book of Mormon and meets with us. She just needs to get married, dang it! We read a chapter in French together because sister H and I both spoke French once upon a time. Fun stuff. 

In relief society, the lesson was about making room for Christ. Well, actually it was about following the example of Jesus Christ, which goes along perfectly with the Christmas video this year, but someone brought up making room for Christ. I have been so happy this entire Christmas season, and it has kind of perplexed me. It helps that I am in an area that has basically become my home with people who I love, but I believe that the biggest thing is that my life is completely centered on Jesus Christ. It is easy to get caught up in the festivities, but as one of the elders in my district put it, why would you have a birthday celebration for Jesus and not invite him? So my invitation/Christmas wish for you is to find out if Christ is there, if you don't know that He is. And if you already know, then do something because of that. Study His life. Pray to feel His love, because it never faileth. Share it with others. It is the best gift we can give, in return for the best gift ever given. It is my testimony that He is there. He is here with each one of us. Invite him into your life. 

I love my Savior. It's why I came out here, and it's why I am here. 

Merry Christmas y'all. Love you lots.

Sister Simpson 
Ha ha

Caroling in Hamburg


Sister Harger and I at church

No comments:

Post a Comment