Monday, December 5, 2016

Good Things are Happening (Week 46)



Ashley and her dad, DeVaugh Rackham hand delivered packages from home!

Santa's little elves making an early Christmas delivery!
Well, a lot happened this week. But that's how life goes, especially missionary life. It's so good!

We had a family home evening lesson with Schw. König (the Haitian woman I LOVE). She's awesome. The next day, I woke up deathly ill. That's probably an exaggeration, but I don't get sick very often. I got up and got ready, then slept through studies, then we went to our appointment anyways because we had a joint teach set up and I'm pretty sure it was just food poisoning.

Afterwards, we got on a train and went to Berlin for our Tausch with the STLTs. I got to be with Sister Porter, my mission mom. It was awesome. We did a lot of finding and Berlin was freezing, but it was good. On our way to catch our train, our bus was late and we ended up missing our train. But a very nice ticket lady stamped our ticket and let us take the next train to Hamburg, which was a huge blessing.

The next day we had leadership training meeting with all the Zone leaders, district leaders and STLs in the west. It was good to see how we can be better missionaries and better leaders. Lucky us, it was in Hamburg so we didn't really have to travel.

We had an awesome appointment with Frau Byo this week. We brought Schw. Blankson. Let me explain this: Frau Byo comes from the Ivory Coast and has always been more reserved. Schw. Blankson is from Ghana and is very open. It was hilarious. She was able to bear testimony of how she knew the church was true, commit Frau Byo to keep reading in the scriptures and to come to church, called Frau Byo's daughter out of her room to meet us. Sister Daines asked her at some point why she thought commandments (Gebote) are important, but Frau Byo thought she said "Gebäude" (building). She said, "sleep" and we were like, "okay...." and then Schw. B realized what was up and clarified. They laughed about trying to understand our German (and English) for about 5 minutes. Haha. Frau Byo told us that she's changed, and even her husband and daughter have noticed a change in her. She said that at the beginning, she was didn't understand why we wanted to meet with her and kept trying to meet with her because she wasn't super interested. But now she reads in the Book of Mormon and she's changing and it's wunderbar!

Ana Ana Ana. We met with her this week and just laid everything out very clearly. Our bishop is worried about her motives. She tells us every time how much she wants to get baptized, so we really explained what baptism really means and basically everything standing in the way. She reaaalllllyyy needs to come to church, so hopefully this week she will. We fasted for her this week.

And Sunday was miracle day! We were in Sunday School (taught by Rudi, a German, to an entire class of English speakers, so we had to translate for like 10 people, on the law of chastity), and the bishop grabbed Sister Daines and me. He had been talking to Eunice and she told him she wanted to get baptized. So the four of us set a baptismal date for December 16. Eunice is super solid. We still have to teach three lessons and she is pretty busy with work (haha stress!) but we have a family home evening that she's coming to tonight with the Lopez's, so honestly, it's in the Lord's hands. He's in control, and I'm just thankful to do what I can here. I love this place and these people.

I've been studying conversion this last week, and how we have to prepare ourselves to have spiritual experiences. The relief society lesson yesterday was on prayer, and The RS president said that the Lord is always there to answer our prayers. He is always there, waiting for us to "open the door" and let him in. I've gone through patterns in my life when my prayers are really sincere and when I don't pray with my heart, and I've noticed a big difference in my overall happiness. I know that we can receive divine strength through prayer that only comes when we ask God in accordance with His will. I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who loves me for who I am, and wants to help me. I am thankful that the God and creator of the world wants to hear from me and cares about what i am going through. There is truly power in prayer.

I got your packages from the Rackhams. That was super fun! I've been eating the Christmas crack! It doesn't even matter what's in the package, it was just so fun to get something from you guys! I love you so much! Thank you thank you thank you!

Have a great week! Transfer calls are Friday - I'm freaking out.. :) I love you!

Sister Simpson
Sick train ride to Berlin

Food at Christmas Markt (bread, cheese) basically not healthy but DELICIOUS


Our messy apartment decorated for Christmas

Decorating our Christmas tree

No comments:

Post a Comment