Tuesday, September 6, 2016

When it Rains it Pours (Week 33)



Dry Picture. 4:32 p.m.

Wet Picture. 4:58 p.m.
The title of the email is because yesterday, we were going by on some contacts in the middle of nowhere and this HUGE storm rolled in. It was a little freaky to watch. We got caught in it and were completely soaked. But 30 minutes later, it was sunny and blue-skied again. 


Hey fam!

Honestly, this week started out like we were expecting to take a nice walk on the greenbelt but ended up lost high in the mountains in a thunderstorm. I feel like we have experienced far more than we bargained for, and even though it was incredibly difficult, we had some sacred experiences. I don't know why it was so hard, but it was and sometimes in life, you just feel hard-hit. The good news is that God's blessings don't stop when you're struggling (thankfully) and that He doesn't abandon us to deal with everything on our own, whether that means missionary work or real life. And I've found that He is able to teach us more in these times because we are more humble.  (There's no particular reason this week was so hard, but sometimes there are just hard weeks in life.)

We met a man who doesn't like religion because it causes conflict. But that's not true, because just as Elder Holland said in his education week talk, religion as a structure itself inspires and entices men to do good and love one another. (To say nothing of the validity of God and Jesus Christ as our Savior). We met another man who tried to dissect our faith and convince us that seeing is believing. But I cannot deny the feelings that I have felt in my heart. I bore my testimony to him, and it was incredible. He didn't really want to change, so he continued arguing after I was done, but I could see a change in his face as he felt the spirit. My faith is not an imagined crutch/fantasy to help me deal with the trials of life. It is not wishful thinking to help to endure to a happier "Heaven", although it does sometimes do that. It helps me to  enjoy life now, through the good and the bad, it helps me to find direction and purpose, to understand why I am here. I know why I am here on the Earth and here in Germany. I know I have a Heavenly Father who loves me so much, He gave His Only Begotten Son to bear not only my sins, but my weaknesses and infirmities, so I can be freed from guilt and the stain of sin and return to Him. I have felt "yoked" to Jesus Christ more than I ever have in my life. He promises us "rest unto [our] souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matt 11:30). "I am with you, even unto the end of the world" (Matt 28:20). I am thankful for a God who is patient with me, who sees me not for my imperfections, but for who I am as His daughter.

We had the feeling to go by on Monika Peters this week because we hadn't heard from her. We went by and she said "Oh no!" when she saw us, but let us in anyway. :) she told us that it would be too hard to stop smoking and drinking alcohol and coffee, so maybe she wasn't that interested. We had brought by a picture that we'd drawn for her and invited her to the cultural celebration, and she decided to come. We bore testimony to her and I know she could feel the spirit, because she changed and opened up to us. It was a small miracle.

The Freiberg temple was dedicated this Sunday! They had a cultural celebration in Dresden on Saturday night and we got to watch it and Monika Peters came with us and really enjoyed it. It was cool to see how much love these people have for their temple. This temple was built on miracles and faith and it has a special place in my heart. President Uchtdorf was there and spoke auf Deutsch (so cool). Then Sunday morning, we got to watch the dedication via Satellite in our Gemeindehaus. Elder Bednar spoke auf Deutsch (he served his mission here) and President Uchtdorf said the dedicatory prayer. Even though we technically weren't in the temple, you could still feel the spirit of the Lord as our church building became an extension of the temple. Unfortunately, Sister Heumann didn't have time to get a recommend for the dedication, so she couldn't come. We tried our best to work it out, though, and she is planning on going to the temple in a month with our ward.

I love this country and these people in a way that is hard to put into words. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. Ich liebe euch! Habt ihr eine
schöne Woche!

Sister Simpson

P.s. It was Sister Koch's birthday this week, so we made waffles for dinner. I bought sprinkles to put on them. Let me tell you, it is difficult to surprise someone that you spend 24/7 with. I can't say I succeeded, but it was a good day.


This girl in our ward is going on her mission to Manchester England
this week. We love Anna!






No comments:

Post a Comment