Monday, June 27, 2016

Sommerfest! (Week 23)






Liebe Familie,

Every week is full of incredible experiences. I love this place, this ward, and these people.

We had a lesson with Peggy. We actually didn't plan anything, because we needed to just see where she is at, and it was perfect because we just taught her based on her needs. She's still working towards baptism, and she is getting closer. She feels super welcome in the ward, and they are starting to recognize her and get to know her.

We were on our way to service this week, and Sister Fulton brought up a contact we've met with a few times. She's from Cuba and her German is super funny because she throws in random Spanish words. She can't walk very well and when we showed up, she was getting home from grocery shopping. So we brought her groceries up the 4 stories to her apartment and then said a prayer with her. It's pretty cool to see how the Lord will use us to bless other people if we listen to Him. I've learned that the Holy Ghost and love can be felt through any language barrier.

We've gotten a lot better at finding. I actually like it. We've met lots of cool people and most of the time, they are nice, so it adds to my love for the people here. We focused on giving out invitations for the Freiberg temple open house in August (because we have 600 invitations). Also, we've been giving them to members and trying to help them invite their friends.

This week, our ward had Gemeinde Sommerfest. We invited TONS of people (neighbors, random people on the street, investigators, etc), and not a lot of other people came, but we had some less active members there, Farshid and Peggy came, and some members brought their friends. It was great! It rained, so that wasn't prima, but everyone just ate in the church until the rain stopped and then the kids played in the wet bounce house, and the elders played soccer with some of the kids (and older brothers in our ward:). One of the members brought a guitar and we sang German campfire songs around the fire pit. It was so fun. They had a cake contest. The men make cakes, a jury judges them, and then they put them all out on the table and it is a free for all. That's my kind of activity. The whole ward gets super into it. It was hilarious. Peggy was one of the judges and she loved it!

We didn't have a lot of people come to church, but we will keep working with them. I translated in Relief Society (2 English sisters), which was a little rough, but I have noticed that my German has gotten a lot better. It is nice to see progress and how God is really helping me to learn this language. I've noticed that it come faster and better when I am focused on understanding and helping other people, rather than just learning and understanding this language. I've learned so much from the two sister ward missionaries, Schwester Faber and Schwester Wendt. I love watching them, because they are always reaching out with love, lifting and helping other people like Christ did. That is what this gospel is all about: coming into Christ and helping other people do the same. That's how we can be the happiest! We are not here on the Earth just for ourselves; Jesus Christ didn't do a single thing for himself. He always turned outward in love instead of inward.

We are working hard and I love it. I love being a missionary. I love  these people, I love Altona, I love this country. I realize more and more everyday why I am here. I may be a very mediocre missionary, but thank heavens God doesn't expect me to be perfect. Es kommt nicht alles auf einmal. His plan for us is perfect. He is our Father, and He gave His only begotten Son for us. Christ is the way that we can essentially become perfected. He understand completely our failures and  shortcomings and He knows exactly how to help us. He is the source of true happiness, true peace, true light.

I love you all! Hope you have a great week!
Sister Simpson

P.S. This is the last week of this transfer. Crazy. We'll see what happens.

Bilder:
We found the cutest macaroon shop ever. I would come back and work here. They are so good!
Candy binge of two girls at their time of the month. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment