Monday, June 20, 2016

I am not witty enough to make cool subjects for my emails (Week 22)


Hey family!
This week was a little rough on appointments. We had a grand total of 3. We had one with Frau Klie. She's super old and super German. Like, she remembers World War II. She likes to talk and talk and I really wish I could understand what she's telling us because she obviously has seen a LOT, but it is really hard. We brought the two ward missionaries in our ward (Schwester Faber and Schwester Wendt, who are basically the cutest old German ladies) and it was perfect. We taught her about Joseph Smith and he First Vision. We told her to read in the Book of Mormon, and she started on 1 Nephi 1 and has just kept reading ever since. We were able to find her a ride to church, which was a miracle, and she really liked it. In all our stress/excitement of getting her to church, we forgot to explain what we do. She loudly told the elder passing the sacrament "Danke Schön". Sister Fulton explained that we are quiet during the sacrament, and so when the water came around, she said it quietly. She keeps telling us about what she's been reading in the Book of Mormon and she loves it.

We met with Peggy this week. We talked about reading the scriptures and praying every day. We've been reminding her all week to read. She told us Sunday morning that she didn't feel like coming to church but she knew she needed to, so she did and she really enjoyed it. The ward is so fantastic and she really feels welcome. We are still working towards baptism with her, which is why we are focusing on the Book of Mormon. I really love Peggy. She has a special place in my heart.

Frau Byo didn't come to church.. I think maybe she got called into work or something. We met with her later in the day and talked about keeping the sabbath day holy and tithing. She totally gets it and still wants to come to church. She has seen how God has blessed her life and she is super grateful.  She's even paid tithing before to her old church because she felt so grateful to God. God is really preparing his children to accept the gospel.

We went by on one of the Africans who we ran into the other week because I felt like we should. He wasn't home, but we had a nice chat with his doorman. He was super cool and he told us that  the  world is crazy, but he knows that his relationship with God is most important.  We talked about where we can find true peace (in Jesus Christ) and gave him a temple open house invitation.

Our less active woman, Helga, "tschüssed" us for no reason. We called to remind her about our appointment and she said she didn't want us to come by or meet with her anymore. I know she felt the spirit when we met with her. If nothing else, she now has a Book of Mormon.

Church was great. The turnout was probably less than normal (no WA came again), but we had investigators there! The speakers in  sacrament meeting were solid and both classes were great. I understood a lot more that I have in a while. Also, later last night, we went by on a few former investigators and less active members. We had done a ton of finding all week and hadn't found anyone to teach. It was a miracle! We made 3 appointments in that hour there. 2 with former investigators, and one with the sister of a less active. It was a tender mercy from the Lord. I had been fasting for help with something I'd been struggling with, and I know that this was an answer to my prayers.

I knew that a mission wouldn't be easy. I know that following Jesus Christ is rarely the easy. It wasn't easy for Christ's disciples, for Amulek, or for Job. But I know that it is always worth it. God refines us through our trials and as we rely on Him, we come closer to Him. Christ is always there to help us, no matter what we are struggling with. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ with all my heart. I am thankful for all the lessons He is teaching me and the people I meet. It is a blessing to feel of His love for the people we meet and talk with, even just for 5 minutes on the bahn. I am thankful for this opportunity to serve my fellow men. I know that the words of King Benjamin from the Book of Mormon are true, that "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." What a blessing it is to serve my God, who has given me all that I have and all that I am.

I love you! Have a great week!
Sister Simpson

Other highlights: on Monday, sister fulton's knee was bugging her. Her nerves felt weird and she had a bump. She thought it was a spider bite and she worried about it all day. She ended up crying as we walked home (and me trying really hard not to laugh) and ended with me looking at it, noticing there were no bite marks, and plucking out the ingrown hair that was the actual problem. Haha. Thank heavens we are not in South America. We couldn't handle it. 

The man at Sister Fulton's favorite ice cream place knows her order. ("Einmal Zimnt, ja?")
We brought the elders to the less active woman's house. She thought Elder Pilling was new, and so she talked to him in either really simple German or English the whole time. We got a kick out of that.
(He has been out for 23 months). He tried really hard to show off his German, but she wasn't picking up what he was trying to put down.
Also, we made as much progress as possible, but really, there's just not room for everything in that apartment. She tried to have elder Pilling drill into the cement ceiling (it didn't work) and I had to go
in the tiny, dark closet to find the drill while she told me (in German) where it might be.
Also, it crazy rained this week, while we were doing weekly planning. Like 6-7 inches in an hour. Whew. The little path by our house turned into a stream!




No comments:

Post a Comment