Monday, November 21, 2016

Craziness (week 44)

Me at church featuring warm, free coat

Hello!

This week was probably our busiest week so far. And craziest. Holy cow. I learned a lot about being flexible. And dealing with stress. I plan when I get stressed. So basically, I planned this entire week multiple times and it didn't work out any of those ways. Looking back, I can see how the Lord was in charge when no one else was. But yeah, I'm working on trusting in the Lord and being flexible. Haha.

(Yes, Mom, we switched bunks this week. It is lovely. Getting in and out of bed is so easy now.)

The craziness started on Tuesday night, after getting a call asking us to pack our stuff for a few days and go to Bremen. So we did, and got there around 22. We ended up going to their district meeting with them, then Sister Briggs and I came back to Altona and sister Daines stayed in Bremen with Sister Maier. We met with Ana Wednesday night, then had service on Thursday, then early Friday morning, Sister Briggs and I got up early to make it back to Bremen. Like 5:30 early. We had a full day of appointments, which is why we tausched back so early, but we ended up having to stay in Bremen for a few more hours. Eventually, Sister Daines and I made it back to Altona, met with the mother of a member who lives in a nursing home, went to a Zone leadership meeting.

Saturday, we had our own district meeting, then a bunch of appointments, but all but one of them cancelled. Our appointment with Eunice was kind of rough. We were exhausted from the whole week and it ended up just being an awful lesson. It just felt very impersonal and the spirit wasn't there. After it was over, we were both frustrated and talked about how we can be better teachers. It was good to remember why we are here and how important this message really is.

Sunday, we had church and the primary children's program in sacrament meeting. None of our friends came (except for Eunice, who is regularly at church), so that was frustrating, especially because we were working towards baptism with two people. It was fun to see the little kids bear testimony of the basics of the gospel. Sunday night, we ate dinner with the Chinese sister in our ward and her husband, who isn't a member. She made some super yummy authentic Chinese food - really spicy chicken and sweet ribs. We really really like them. Afterwards, we did a family home evening lesson and taught the plan of salvation (using your visual aids, Mom:). Ironically, it was the same "lesson" that we had taught the night before, but it was worlds different. He had a lot of really good, logical questions. The spirit was very strong and we were able to testify boldly about God's plan for us. Qiongying shared her testimony and how she started to believe, and he said, "your experiences haven't convinced me yet." We explained to him that no one's experience will ever convince him that there is a God and that He has a plan for us. You have to find our for yourself. God will give us spiritual experiences if we seek for the truth. I know that and believe it with all of my heart. - It was nice to end the week on a high note. This work is hard because it's selfless. If we are focused on ourselves, we won't be able to teach with the spirit, and if we don't have the spirit, there's no point in teaching. The spirit has to be there to touch their hearts, so they will open their hearts and be able to have their own spiritual experiences. The gospel is personal, and it becomes so through the Holy Ghost. I've learned that consistently in the last however many months I've been here.

I am thankful for my own spiritual experiences. I am thankful for the knowledge that God lives, that Jesus Christ is my Savior, that we have a purpose for our lives. God is in the details of our lives. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, takes our meager efforts and sacrifices and can make it enough.

Happy thanksgiving this week! My heart is so full of gratitude that I get to be here. I really feel so SO lucky. I love it. I am thankful for the ways God blesses me every day, and for Christ's support in all of my shortcomings. I am so thankful for this time to serve and the opportunities that He blesses me with. I am thankful for my amazing family. I love you so much. Life is good, but more importantly, God is good.

That's all for now! God knows you and He loves you very much! (And so do I)

Sister Simpson

P.S. Other questions:
We have 3 splits this week (aka more crazy). This transfer is only 5 weeks, and our Tausch schedule got completely messed up from the this last week. Haha. We have two the week after, and then only one the last week. Good riddance. It's fun being able to work with and get to know all the sisters. They are all really awesome. We have 5 sister companionships we are over and we go on Tausch once a transfer with each companionship.
P.P.S. I got Lizzy's letter and your postcard! I love mail! Thanks guys! It normally takes about 7-10 days for mail.. I normally plan on 9.
Cool church by a bus stop that we quite frequently get stranded at.
Stupid Agathe-Lasch-Weg.

Us and the Bremen sisters after 3 days of tausch

No comments:

Post a Comment