Monday, May 9, 2016

Mountains to climb (Week 16)

Excuse how tired we look.  This was at 6 a.m. on our way to a meeting in Berlin.
Hallo Familie!

It was so good to skype with you guys. I love you so much! I can totally see why we only do it twice a year, because it was a little weird to go back to missionary work.

This week was so crazy! We went to Berlin for the trainer/trainee meeting. It was cool to get the same meeting from a different perspective. I learned a lot more this time. It was a long day (6hours of travel by bahn).

We tried to invite a family to our ward activity, but they weren't home. We went to Rossmann, printed off 2 invitations and left one at their house. Then we met a lady at a bus stop and talked to her. She told us she didn't know what she was going to do with her kids on the day off school. We had an extra invitation so we gave it to her. It would be a cooler story if she came, but it was a blessing to see that small miracle.

We met with Peggy and Frau Byo. I love these two people. It is amazing to see the gospel change them, little by little as they act on their faith. Jesus Christ takes away all sorrow, guilt, grief and pain when we let him.

So Christihimmelfahrt is German Father's Day. Basically all the men go out and get drunk. So all of the missionaries were supposed to stay home and read the Book of Mormon all day unless they already had appointments. We had our ward activity that they really wanted us to go to, so we went to that but read the rest of the day. The ward activity was at a park in the woods. We wore Pday clothes and it felt like we were camping. So weird! We played Fußball on a super small field with 20 people! It was nice to visit with ward members. We also played badminton. I think it is my sport. It is also the only semi-athletic thing I can beat Sister Fulton at (besides running. She's not a fan).  Honestly, I wanted to do the Buch Mormon Tag, but it was still a good day. I read all of 1 Nephi in one day, and I tried to apply all of the stories and teachings to me in my life. It was pretty cool to see that these words are meant for us now. I LOVE THE BOOK OF MORMON. I know it is the word of God and I am so thankful for it.

We helped with a Straße Aufstellung (street display) in Stade for the sisters there. It was good to watch other missionaries and learn from them. It was also really good to just get out of my comfort zone. A street display is when we set up a table with copies of the Book of Mormon and with a family history banner and talk to the people passing by. Honestly, it never got easier to talk to people, but I did get to
talk to a girl about my age about the Book of Mormon and how it has helped me through the trials in my life. She took it and said she'd read it. Two elders in my district did something called "street preaching" where they just share their testimony very loudly and read from the scriptures. They are the "oldest" missionaries in my district, and they did a good job and it was nice to see them get out of their comfort zones.

The weather has been so nice. The train ride back from Stade was super long and slow and so hot. I don't know how I'll survive the summer. My feet swelled up and it was only 70 degrees. The sun has been out every day for 8 days and the Germans are loving it!

So, yesterday, while we were eating dinner, Sister Fulton and I watched the Mormon message "Mountains to Climb". And we both cried through the whole thing. It is probably my favorite and I invite you to watch it. I thought about all the trials that I have gone through and mostly that I've seen other people go through. People ask me all the time "why do bad things happen to good people?" and "why is there so much suffering?" I wish there was an easy answer but there's not. President Eyring says "I cannot promise an end to your adversity in this life. I cannot assure you that your trials will seem to you to be only for a moment. One of the characteristics of trials in life is that they seem to make clocks slow down and then appear almost to stop.
    There are reasons for that. Knowing those reasons may not give much comfort, but it can give you a feeling of patience. Those reasons come from this one fact: in Their perfect love for you, Heavenly Father and the Savior want you fitted to be with Them to live in families forever. Only those washed perfectly clean through the Atonement of Jesus Christ can be there.
    If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing. In all conditions, we can choose the right with the guidance of the Spirit. We have the gospel of Jesus Christ to shape and guide our lives if we choose it. And with prophets revealing to us our place in the plan of salvation, we can live with perfect hope and a feeling of peace. We never need to feel that we are alone or unloved in the Lord’s service because we never are. We can feel the love of God. The Savior has promised angels on our left and our right to bear us up. And He always keeps His word."
(https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/mountains-to-climb?lang=eng)

The gospel gives us peace. Jesus Christ is hope. It has changed my life, and I hope it will continue to. It gives us the strength to change and to endure faithfully our trials. I know this. I have seen it in the lives of the people I love. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that this gospel and message of Jesus Christ can change human hearts. I KNOW that He has been with me at every high point and every
low point in my life. I love Him. I am eternally indebted to him.

I love you. Have a great week!
Sister Simpson

Video link: https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2013-01-003-mountains-to-climb?lang=eng


All these pictures were taken by our house (also at 6 a.m.):










No comments:

Post a Comment